Essentials for a Virunga Safari
Essentials for a Virunga Safari are those items that one ought not to leave out when they decide to travel to Virunga in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Virunga national park is known for being the primate safari destination where a tourist can participate in gorilla trekking in Congo, you can also visit the Senkwenkwe gorilla orphanage where you will get to take care of the orphaned gorillas for a day by feeding them, cleaning their nests and so many other activities while you visit the orphanage in the park.
Still in the park, tourists can participate in hiking the Virunga Mountains that is Mount Mikeno and the active volcanoes of mount Nyiragongo which has the largest lava lake in the world which can be seen when you carry out the mount Nyiragongo hike the other active volcano that can be seen in the park is mount Nyamuragira. Still in the park, you can participate in chimpanzee trekking and chimpanzee habituation which are other interesting activities within the park.
The park is also a good birding destination where you will have a chance to see a number of bird species like Amur falcon, booted eagle, red-faced barbet, sooty falcon, Cabanis; bunting, crested barbet, slate-colored boubou, Sousa’s shrike, striped pipit Denham’s bustard, Eleonora’s falcon, tabora cisticola, brown crested lapwing, shoe bill stork, western reef heron, yellow-bellied eremomela blue shouldered robin-chat, grasshopper buzzard, northern brown-throated weaver, papyrus gonolek, dimorphic given that it is a home to over 400 bird species and this will ensure that you have an a amazing time while in the park.
For tourists interested in participating in a number of given activities in virunga national park, here are the necessary essentials for a trip to virunga national park where you will have an amazing time. The following is a guideline of all the necessary essentials for you to carry to the park so that you have the most amazing time in the park.
Packing List / Essentials for a Virunga Safari
- Heavy clothes because the park tends to be cold during the night because of the numerous water bodies and the vegetation covers like the forests, short shrubs, thickets and so on.
- Sweater light clothes because during the day the country becomes hot.
- Insect repellent because the park is a home to a number of insects that can spread diseases through their insect bites. Some of the insects include mosquitoes among other insects in the park.
- Hiking shoes which will help you to move in the park swiftly this is because the park is filled with a number of drainage features like the rivers, lakes
- Garden gloves to avoid being pricked by nettles because they are widespread in the park in the forests.
- Raincoat, because the weather in the park is quite unpredictable that it can rain even in the dry season.
- Daily essentials like deodorants, perfume, sanitary towels of your choice to ensure you have a comfortable a safe trip in virunga national park.
- Sunscreen because during the day there is scorching sunshine which can cause irritation, therefore, you should carry your sunscreen.
- Safari jacket.
- Safari hat which will help you to block sunshine from your eyes from direct sun rays
- Binoculars if you are interested in birding while in the park.
For tourists to access the democratic republic of Congo, they should have the proper documentation in order to participate in a number of activities within the park. The following are documents necessary to access Virunga national park:
- A valid visa is necessary for a tourist to access the country in order to visit the virunga national park.
- The visa should have a validity of at least 6 months and it should at least 3 blank pages to put the different stamps.
- Yellow fever card
- Any documents that are equivalent to a passport
- It should be noted that visa exemption is only tourists with diplomatic passports or service passports.
- For tourists from the common market for east and South Africa can access the country’s VISA for free.
- For tourists with dual citizenship including the democratic republic of Congo, they can access the country without a visa.
Other Essentials for a Virunga Safari
- Travel guide book
- Translation book to have the most authentic conversations with the locals in the park