Preparation For Gorilla Trekking is a simple and straight forward process whereby one has to organize themselves in a befitting way that ensures success in the activity.
Mountain gorilla trekking is one of the most love safari activities enjoyed by many tourists. Unfortunately, the activity is not offered all over the world it is only offered in four locations and only in Africa, that is Bwindi impenetrable national park and Mgahinga Gorilla National Park of Uganda, Virunga National Park of the democratic republic of Congo and Volcanoes National Park of Rwanda.
Mountain gorillas are one of the critically endangered animal species in the world who live on the higher altitudes in the thick forests, mountain gorillas are huge animals with fascinating features like fur which help them live in coldness on the high altitude of the mountains. Mountain gorilla trekking as a safari activity involves climbing the through the slippery rugged routes to reach where gorilla are residing in the deep forest, the journey in the forest is very amazing as you see many forest birds, beautiful scenic peaks of the volcanoes, evergreen forest filled with tree species and many more.
Mountain gorilla trekking offers the most ever-fascinating experience which is to be forever memorable to you, as it takes you through the thick forests in search for the precious mountain gorillas. Though looking and locating where the mountain gorillas are is fun, it has never been easy but some people call it because it is very rewarding,
As the saying goes if you fail to prepare you are preparing to fail, that is why for a great gorilla trekking experience you need to prepare fully for better safari. Therefore you must undergo preparing for Gorilla Trekking to be successful in this activity.
- Know where you what to trek: As you’re preparing for a gorilla trekking safari, it is better to know where you want to go gorilla trekking, mountain gorilla trekking is an activity which is not offered by most of the tourist destinations in the world. It is only offered in four destinations and in only three countries that is mgahinga forest national park and Bwindi impenetrable national park found in Uganda, volcanoes national park found in Rwanda and Virunga national park found in the democratic republic of Congo. Mountain gorillas live in families/groups where on each trekking you trek one family.
- Get yourself a trusted travel agent: The second step when preparing for a mountain gorilla trekking safari is getting a trusted travel agent to help you connect to the destination of your choice. And in this achieve global safaris is at your service. A travel agent is to help you in preparing all the aspects of the safari which you cannot do yourself like booking a gorilla trekking permit, getting your drivers, booking for accommodation and many more.
- Know the rules and regulations: Know the rules and regulations for the mountain gorilla trekking safari activity. Mountain gorilla trekking as a safari activity has rules and regulations which govern the activity, this is because the activity its self is very critical as the mountain gorillas are short-tempered animals that get defensive if threatened. Rules such as no taking pictures with a flashlight on, do not eat in the presence of the gorillas, tourists below the age of 15 are not allowed to participate in the trekking and many more. When you get to know these rules and you are willing to obey with them your proceed to another step.
- Requirements for Gorilla Trekking Safari and what to park
- Examine your fitness level: Mountain gorilla trekking involves vigorous climbing through the mountainous terrain as you search for the gorillas, this requires before you go for mountain gorilla trekking and as you prepare for trekking make sure are physically fit as you need all the need to climb up and slop down the rugged slippery trails in between the forests. To amplify your fitness level before the actual day of mountain gorilla trekking you can start doing leg cardio and body exercises to keep you in good shape.
- Buy a good pair of shoes: As your preparing for mountain gorilla trekking, it is better for you to know that the comfort of your foot and the kind of shoes you are to use will determine more about the experience you will get. As you climb into the forests trails are expected to get muddy and slippery as forests receive a lot of rainfall that is why you need comfortable strong hiking shoes to help you navigate these routes. With a good pair of hiking shoes sure you will get a great mountain gorilla experience of your life.
- Carry Gloves: As your preparing for mountain gorilla trekking, you should add gloves on your packing list, while gorilla trekking you will navigate through thick bushes which are filled with thorny and poisonous plants and leaves. Considering that the trails are slippery you might stumble off and lay your hands on these plants which will leave your hands irritated and wonder, that is why you should carry gloves with such that even if you touch them you won’t be affected
- Have Long Sleeve Shirt and Long Pants: As you’re preparing and packing for mountain gorilla trekking always pack long sleeved shirts and long pants as you are expected to come across thick thorny vegetation which will leave your legs and hands scratched. When getting pants it is better you get jeans which have tough surface which will be difficult for thorns to pierce through thus no wounds or irritation.
- Other things to pack are waterproof jackets, backpack, pesticides and energizers
5. Book your Gorilla Trekking Permit: The last step in preparing for a gorilla trekking safari is booking for a gorilla trekking permit, booking for the permit is done by your travel agent or company but before the permit is booked. You provide them with your passport copy, payments and the dates when you what too doing the trekking then you will be ready to trek for the precious mountain gorillas.
Note: A gorilla trekking permit should be booked 2-3 months before the actual date of the activity.