4 Days Kahuzi Biega Gorillas & Lwiro Chimpanzees
4 Days Kahuzi Biega Gorillas & Lwiro Chimpanzees is a short Congo Safari tour that exposes a traveler to the amazing primates of lowland gorillas and chimpanzees.
Highlights of the 4 Days Kahuzi Biega Gorillas & Lwiro Chimpanzees
- Day 1: Leave Kigali for Bukavu
- Day 2: Lwiro Chimpanzee Sanctuary visit
- Day 3: Eastern lowland gorilla trek in Kahuzi Biega NP
- Day 4: Transfer back to Kigali
Detailed Safari Itinerary
Day 1: Leave Kigali for Bukavu
- Transfer to Bukavu: Land at Kigali International Airport in time to meet your driver-guide to welcome you into the country and also give you a brief about the trip and what to expect. You will be allowed some time to change money and get any other necessities for the trip. Set out south of Rwanda headed towards Nyungwe forest National Park. You will have an enroute visit of the Butare Museum and Nyanza King’s palace and have lunch before you continue through the long forest stretch. Connect with your driver-guide to connect to the Rusizi II border to cross into DRCongo. You will get through the immigration office and connect to Bukavu for dinner at your accommodation of choice.
Day 2: Lwiro Chimpanzee Sanctuary visit
- Lwiro Chimpanzee Sanctuary: Have a leisurely breakfast and meet your driver-guide ready to drive you to the park headquarters where the Lwiro Chimps stay. This is a facility where the orphaned or harmed chimps are rescued and taken care of from. This facility harbors more than the Chimpanzees that you get to visit once in the compound. Also take part in the daily activities of the sanctuary. This is a full day activity. Return to your hotel in time for dinner and second night in the south of DRCongo. Have dinner and retire from the day in anticipation for the next day at hotel of choice.
Day 3: Eastern lowland gorilla trek in Kahuzi Biega NP
- Eastern lowland gorilla trekking: A big day is here! Have an early breakfast as you will need all the energy you can get. Drive to the Kahuzi Biega National park headquarters in anticipation of seeing eye to eye with the lowland gorillas. The lowland gorillas have distinctive differences from the mountain gorillas and you will get to notice all this on your hike. Reach the park for the 20 minutes pre-trek brief by the park rangers and after set out in search of these gentle giants. You will trek for about 2 hours and meet the lowland gorillas going about their day. Spend the allotted one hour with gorillas taking photos with no flash and at a 6m distance. Return to your hotel for lunch and spend the evening relaxing and enjoying the hotel amenities that you could be interested in (optional). Have dinner and spend your second night at your hotel in Bukavu town.
Day 4: Transfer back to Kigali
- Transfer back to Kigali: Wake up to enjoy the last views and breeze of the DRCongo, connect for breakfast and embark on your drive back to Kigali. Exit DRCongo from the Rusizi II border and drive through the Nyungwe forest with an enroute lunch. You will arrive in Kigali in the evening hours and be dropped off at the airport or your hotel as you will advise.
End of the 4 Days Kahuzi Biega Gorillas & Lwiro Chimpanzees
- Chimpanzee sanctuary permits per individual
- Lowland gorilla permits per individual
- All ground transfers in 4×4 safari vehicle with fuel
- Full-time English/ French speaking guide
- Accommodation as indicated in the itinerary.
- DRCongo tourist visas
- Optional activities
- International flights
- Rwanda transit visa
- Personal requests not included in the itinerary.
See also: 3 Days Kahuzi Biega National Park Safari