5 Days Nyungwe Forest & Kahuzi Biega
Highlights of 5 Days Nyungwe Forest & Kahuzi Biega
- Day 1: Leave Kigali for Nyungwe forest National Park
- Day 2: Chimpanzee trek in Nyungwe and afternoon canopy walk
- Day 3: Transfer to Bukavu
- Day 4: Eastern lowland gorilla trek in Kahuzi Biega NP
- Day 5: Transfer back to Kigali
Detailed Safari Itinerary
Day 1: Leave Kigali for Nyungwe forest National Park
- Transfer to Nyungwe: Land at Kigali International Airport in time to meet your driver-guide to welcome you into the country and also give you a brief about the trip and what to expect. You will be allowed some time to change money and get any other necessities for the trip. Set out south of Rwanda headed towards Nyungwe forest National Park. You will have an enroute visit of the Butare Museum and Nyanza King’s palace and have lunch before you continue through the long forest stretch. Arrive in Nyungwe at your accommodation in time for dinner and night stay at hotel of choice.
Day 2: Chimpanzee trekking in Nyungwe & Afternoon Canopy walk
- Chimpanzee trekking: Early morning, get up and connect to the park by 5:00 am to set out into the forest to search for these early risers. You will have a brief at Uwinka or Cyamudongo from the park rangers before the chimpanzee trekking for about 10 to 20 minutes. You will take one of the Nyungwe forest trails of Cyamudongo forest or Uwinka leading to the home of the chimpanzees of Rwanda. You will trek for about 4 hours and enjoy the sights and sounds of the Nyungwe forest and also do as much photography as you can. After the chimpanzee trek, exit the park and connect back to your accommodation for lunch and refreshments and rest abit.
- Canopy walk: Later at 2 pm connect back to the park for the afternoon canopy to see the forest from above or the bird’s view. The Canopy walk is also a great recommendation for the birders as it is a great viewing point in the forest. Get back to your hotel in time for dinner and another night stay as the night before.
Day 3: Transfer to Bukavu
- Transfer to Bukavu: Have a leisurely breakfast, pack your belongings and check out of your Nyungwe accommodation and connect with your driver-guide to connect to the Rusizi II border to cross into DRCongo. You will get through the immigration office and connect to Bukavu for lunch at your accommodation. You will arrive at your accommodation in time for lunch and an afternoon of rest. You can opt to go for a community visit if you are up for it. Return to your hotel when it is time for dinner and the first night in the south of DRCongo. Have dinner and retire from the day in anticipation for the next day at the hotel of choice.
Day 4: Eastern lowland gorilla trek in Kahuzi Biega NP
- Eastern lowland gorilla trekking: A big day is here! Have an early breakfast as you will need all the energy you can get. Drive to the Kahuzi Biega National park headquarters in anticipation of seeing eye to eye with the lowland gorillas. The lowland gorillas have distinctive differences from the mountain gorillas and you will get to notice all this on your hike. Reach the park for the 20 minutes pre-trek brief by the park rangers and after set out in search of these gentle giants. You will trek for about 2 hours and meet the lowland gorillas going about their day. Spend the allotted one hour with gorillas taking photos with no flash and at a 6m distance. Return to your hotel for lunch and spend the evening relaxing and enjoying the hotel amenities that you could be interested in (optional). Have dinner and spend your second night at your hotel in Bukavu town.
Day 5: Transfer back to Kigali
- Transfer back to Kigali: Wake up to enjoy the last views and breeze of the DRCongo, connect for breakfast and embark on your drive back to Kigali. Exit DRCongo from the Rusizi II border and drive through the Nyungwe forest with an enroute lunch. You will arrive in Kigali in the evening hours and be dropped off at the airport or your hotel as you will advise.
End of the 5 Days Nyungwe Forest & Kahuzi Biega
- Chimpanzee permits per individual
- Lowland gorilla permits per individual
- All ground transfers in 4×4 safari vehicle with fuel
- Full-time English/ French speaking guide
- Accommodation as indicated in the itinerary.
- DRCongo tourist visas
- Optional activities
- International flights
- Rwanda transit visa
- Personal requests not included in the itinerary.