4 Days Volcanoes National Park safari
4 Days Volcanoes National Park safari is a short but one safari that offers you the chance to enjoy the presence of the mountain gorillas in their natural habitat and the golden monkeys. This tour takes you to Rwanda’s volcanoes National park in the North West of the country. Volcanoes national park is one of the destinations people get to meet the mountain gorillas and spend an hour enjoying them at a 6 metres distance and also see the unique monkey species; the golden monkey.
Highlights of the 4 Days Volcanoes National Park safari
- Day 1: Arrival in Kigali
- Day 2: Mountain gorilla Trekking
- Day 3: Golden Monkey trekking
- Day 4: Drive back to Kigali
Day 1: Arrival in Kigali
- Arrival in Kigali: Depending on the flight taken to land at the Kigali international airport, your driver-guide will be ready waiting to welcome you and exchange pleasantries with a mini brief right before you transfer to your hotel. For the early arrivals, you will take some time visiting the Kigali Genocide memorial grounds and also go visit the Kimironko market and have lunch after. You will drive about 2 hours west of the country to get to the accommodation in Ruhengeri the home of the mountain gorillas. Reach at the hotel in time for dinner a night stay.
Day 2: Volcanoes national park gorilla trek
- Gorilla Trekking Experience: The big day of the 3 days trip is here! You will wake up energized and anticipating for the day’s events. Connect for an early breakfast by 6 am so that you are at the park headquarters by 7 am to receive the briefing of the gorilla trekking experience ahead of the activity. You will enter the forest and spend about 4 to 5 hours in search of the mountain gorillas and on a lucky day, you may spend less time in the search if the gorillas spent the night close. The time spent on a mountain gorilla trek entirely depends on where the gorillas spent the night or how far into the forest they have moved. When you finally meet the mountain gorillas, you are allowed a full hour to watch them go about their day at a distance of 6 meters. Have your packed lunch and set out of the forest to return back to your accommodation to rest.
- Iby’iwachu cultural Visit: If you still have some energy to spare, you can connect with your driver-guide to take you for a cultural visit at the Iby’iwachu cultural center for a taste of the Rwandan culture in terms of dances, language and ancient ways of living. Drive back to your accommodation before sunset in time for your dinner. Spend a second night at the hotel as the night before.
Day 3: Golden Monkey trekking in Volcanoes National Park.
- Golden Monkey trekking: Have an early breakfast and connect back to the park headquarters in anticipation to see the golden monkeys. You will have a pre-trekking brief like the day before and enter the forest in search of the monkeys. These are more active than the gorillas so getting a clear picture can be tricky so it is advisable to enjoy the moment more than try to get a picture. After encountering the golden monkeys, you will connect back to your accommodation for late lunch and spend the evening at leisure. Have dinner at your hotel and spend the third and final night at the accommodation as the previous nights.
Day 4: Drive back to Kigali
- Transfer back to Kigali: Have a tasty breakfast at your hotel, pack your bags and check out of your accommodation and set out on your 3 to 2 hour drive back to the Kigali City. You may have enroute visit at the Dian Fossey fund Museum if interested and have lunch in Musanze and further head for drop off in Kigali as you will advise.
End of 4 days Volcanoes National Park Safari
- Gorilla trekking permit
- Golden Monkey permit
- Full-time safari vehicle with fuel
- English/ French speaking driver guide
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary
- Bottled water in transit.
- International flights
- Visa fees
- Personal effects like phone service, laundry, alcoholic beverages
- Optional activities