5 Days Akagera and Lake Kivu Safari
5 days Akagera and Lake Kivu Safari is a short but very interesting adventurous Rwanda Safari Package that travelers can book and enjoy.
Highlights of the 5 days Akagera and Lake Kivu Safari
- Day 1: Arrive in Kigali for a city tour
- Day 2: Transfer to Akagera National Park
- Day 3: Morning Game drive and transfer back to Kigali
- Day 4: Transfer to Gisenyi – Lake Kivu
- Day 5: Half day in Gisenyi and Return to Kigali for Departure
Detailed Safari Itinerary
Day 1: Arrive in Kigali for a city tour
- Arrive in Kigali and City tour: You will land at Kigali International airport in the morning hours in time for an eventful but relaxing day. You will be welcomed by your driver-guide, briefed and set out for the Kigali Genocide Memorial tour to get an insight on the occurrence of that dark time for the country. After, connect for lunch in Kigali and later in the afternoon, you may visit the Kimironko market to buy some local artifacts and also get a chance to interact with the local Rwandan people. Get back to your hotel for dinner and an overnight stay at Des Milles Colline Hotel.
Day 2: Transfer to Akagera National Park
- Transfer to Akagera: This is a 2 to 3-hour drive from Kigali meaning you will arrive in time for lunch. This drive goes through people’s homesteads so you get a chance to see the Rwandan people go about their day. Akagera national park was named after River Akagera and has the wildlife of Rwanda and is the only park that you will see them in Rwanda.
- Boat Cruise: You will arrive at the park and connect straight for lunch then set out to enjoy the 1 hour scheduled boat trip on Lake Ihema where you will see the great birdlife, water animals like crocodiles, hippos wallowing at the shores or in the lake. Get off the boat and drive to check into your accommodation to spend a night anticipating for the next day and also have dinner at the hotel. You get to choose the most favorable hotel for your budget. Options are Akagera Game lodge, Karenge Bush Camp and Ruzizi Tented Camp.
Day 3: Morning Game drive and transfer back to Kigali
- Morning Game drive: Wake up for this exciting day, have breakfast and check out of your accommodation as you won’t be returning and connect with your driver-guide to be at the park reception by 9 am for the morning game drive. The game drive around Akagera national park lasts about 5 hours for the half-day experience. Get to see the buffaloes, elephants, giraffes, rhinos, the lions all in one park. Enjoy the photo moments and after set out to exit the park to connect Kigali.
- Transfer to Kigali: Have an enroute lunch and continue further southward to Kigali in time to check in to your accommodation and spend the evening resting in anticipation for the next few days of the 5 days Akagera and Lake Kivu Safari. Dinner and Kigali night stay at Des Mille Colline hotel.
Day 4: Transfer to Gisenyi – Lake Kivu
- Transfer to Gisenyi: Grab a cup of coffee and get to the car to start off your 5-hour drive from Kigali to Gisenyi nearing the DRCongo and Rwanda border for the 4th day of your tour. You will arrive at Gisenyi in time for lunch at the shores of Lake Kivu. Lake Kivu has breathtaking scenery and feel.
- Boat Cruise: After lunch, you may take on a boat trip to enjoy the Lake Kivu or opt to stay by the shores reading a book or listening to calm music. Your driver-guide will take you back to your accommodation when you are ready to check-in and freshen up for dinner. Dinner and overnight may be at Paradise Malahide, Lake Kivu Serena hotel.
Day 5: Half day in Gisenyi and Return to Kigali for Departure
- Half-day in Gisenyi: Wake up in the countryside of Rwanda with a warm sunrise by the beach and connect for breakfast. After breakfast, connect to spend the remaining time at Lake Kivu taking boat trips, canoeing or even swimming if you are up for it. Check out of your accommodation and connect for lunch in Musanze.
- Departure: Drive further out to Kigali for the final moments of your trip to Rwanda. You will then be dropped off in Kigali as you will advise
End of the 5 days Akagera and Lake Kivu Safari
- All boat cruise fees
- all accommodation as per itinerary
- 4X4 safari vehicle with popup roof and Fuel
- Full time English speaking driver guide
- Park entrance fees
- Boat cruise on Lake Kivu
- Boat trip on Lake Ihema
- Vehicle entrance fees
- Bottled mineral water
- All activities as indicated
- Visa fees
- Air tickets
- All items of personal nature like laundry, phone calls, beer, e.t.c
- Anything else not included in the itinerary