5 days Akagera and Volcanoes Wildlife Safari
5 days Akagera and Volcanoes Wildlife Safari is a must book if you are interested in visiting the 2 most exciting parks that Rwanda has to offer. Spend an engaging 5 days in the land of a thousand hills and leave refreshed with the big picture of the country as you will visit the 2 corners of northern Rwanda on the wheels. It can be a bit demanding and exciting switching from wildlife to primate life so be sure to be up for it all.
Trip Highlights of the 5 days Akagera and Volcanoes Wildlife Safari
- Game viewing in Akagera national park
- Cultural tours
- Boat cruise
- Mountain gorilla trek
Day 1: Kigali to Akagera National park for boat cruise
- Kigali city tour: This 5 days Akagera and Volcanoes Wildlife Safari will start at 8 am expecting you to be at the agreed pick up point in Kigali where your driver-guide will be waiting to welcome and brief you. Pick up point options are the Kigali international airport or your agreed hotel in Kigali.
- Boat cruise on River Kagera: You will set out for the starter of a complimentary Kigali city tour visiting the Kimironko market for craft pieces and the Kigali Genocide Memorial grounds for the history of the 1994 genocide times. Have lunch and drive to Akagera National park in time for the afternoon boat trip. This boat trip gives you the views of the aquatic life of Akagera like the hippos and crocodiles and the various bird life on the shores of the rivers. Check into your accommodation for dinner and the night as you refresh for the following day.
Day 2: Game drive and evening cultural tour
- Morning game drive: Wake up very early and grab a bite or cup of coffee before you drive to the game drive starting point to pick up your ranger for your half-day drive. You will explore the Northern circuit where you will get to see the elephants, rhinos, giraffes, tree-climbing lions, and the smaller game like the kobs, warthogs to mention but a few. After about 4 to 5 hours in the park, you will drive back to your hotel for a hot lunch to regain some energy for the next activity of the day.
- Evening cultural tour: When the sun has cooled down abit, you will connect with your driver-guide to connect for the cultural experience of Akagera. Spend about 2 hours and get back to your hotel before it gets dark. Connect for a barbeque dinner setting and enjoy the views of the park as the day winds up from the balcony.
Day 3: Transfer to Volcanoes NP and evening cultural tour
- Road transfer from Akagera to Volcanoes NP: The 3rd day of this 5 days Akagera and Volcanoes Wildlife Safari will be spent on the road. The road transfer from Akagera National park to Volcanoes NP is about 4 to 5 hours via Kigali. You will have a stopover in Kigali for lunch and head further to Musanze the home of the world’s endangered mountain gorillas.
- Iby’iwachu cultural center: The Iby’iwachu cultural centre gives the foreign visitors a feel of the Rwandan culture in terms of food, dressing, norms and lifestyle of the ancient people before modernization. After the experiential tour is done, connect to your accommodation for check in and dinner. Retire from the day and wait for the big day tomorrow.
Day 4: Mountain gorilla trek in Volcanoes NP
- Trekking mountain gorillas in Rwanda: One of the highlights of the 5 days Akagera and Volcanoes Wildlife Safari is here. Wake up to an early breakfast in the misty forest of Volcanoes NP. Drive to the park headquarters for the pre trek briefing and allocation of gorilla family to trek. Meet your porters and ranger guides and set out for your 2 to 8 hour mountain gorilla search. Once you find the gorillas, you are allowed 1 hour with the gentle giants. Stud them from a 6 meters standard distance as they carry out their daily activities. Connect back to your hotel for a late lunch and spend the rest of the afternoon relaxing as you view the hills as a backdrop from your hotel. Dinner will be served and you will retire back to your hotel room as the night before.
Day 5: Drive back to Kigali
- 4 hour drive to Kigali: The final day of a 5 days Akagera and Volcanoes Wildlife Safari surely hits different. Memories, fatigue and all types of emotions fighting for recognition. You and you driver guide will set out of the Volcanoes National Park headed back to Kigali. I you have time, you will pass by the Dian fossey fund building have a brief viewing and head back to Kigali in time for drop off.
End of the 5 days Akagera and Volcanoes Wildlife Safari
- Full-time English/ French speaking guide
- Fueled safari vehicle at your disposal
- Accommodation as selected above
- Meals on the tour
- Bottled drinking water
- Park entrance fee
- Boat cruise fee
- Activity permits
- Cultural tour fees included
- International flight fares
- Visa fees
- Personal needs not indicated in the itinerary
- Additional activities not described in the itinerary