7 Days Akagera Kahuzi Biega & Nyungwe
7 Days Akagera Kahuzi Biega & Nyungwe: Take on a tour to Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo and visit the wildlife, and the primates of the south side that is the lowland gorillas in Kahuzi Biega National Park and the chimpanzees of Nyungwe forest National Park in 7 days.
Highlights of the 7 Days Akagera Kahuzi Biega & Nyungwe
- Game drive in Akagera National Park
- Lowland gorilla trek
- Cultural tours
- Chimpanzee trek
- Canopy walk
- Butare Museum visit
- King’s palace
Day 1: Transfer from Kigali to Akagera NP for Lake Ihema boat cruise
- Drive to Kigali; Meet your driver-guide on arrival to Rwanda or at your hotel in Kigali early morning and set out for the Kigali city tour visiting two main points that is the Kigali Genocide Memorial and the Kimironko market then connect to Akagera national park in time for lunch.
- Lake Ihema Boat cruise; After having lunch, your driver-guide will drive you down to the shores of Lake Ihema to set out on the afternoon cruise for 1 hour viewing the hippos, crocodiles, and birds of Akagera enjoying the river banks. You will later connect to your hotel for an overnight stay and dinner. Hotel options are Magashi Camp for the luxury option, Karenge Bushcamp for midrange and Akagera Game lodge for budget
Day 2: Morning game drive and Evening cultural tour
- Morning game drive; Breakfast will be served early morning and then drive to the park reception to pick up your guide by 9 am for the half day game drive in Akagera. You will drive around the park in search of the game that the park has to offer for about 5 hours as the guide provides the information about the park. Akagera national park is home to several wild animals like the lions rhinos, giraffes elephants and the smaller antelopes like the kobs, impalas
- Community Cultural experience; you will drive back to the hotel for lunch and relax from the drive around the park. Later in the afternoon drive back for the Akagera cultural experience where you get to interact with the Rwandan people and know about their way of living. Drive back to the hotel in time to catch the beautiful sunset from the dining area with the best views of the park. Spend the second night at the hotel of the previous night.
Day 3: Drive to Nyungwe via Kigali
- Full day drive to Nyungwe forest NP; On the 3rd day of this safari, you will wake up to an American breakfast served at your camp, check out of your accommodation and meet your driver-guide to drive to Nyungwe forest NP via Kigali. You will drive 6 to 7 hours and stop via Kigali to have lunch and continue southwards arriving in Nyungwe late evening in time for dinner and first night stay in the forest. Hotel options will be One and Only Nyungwe house for luxury, Nyungwe Top hill view hotel for midrange and Gisakura Visitor Centre for a budget.
Day 4: Chimpanzee trekking and Canopy walk
- Chimpanzee trek; Get up as early as 5 am to drive to Uwinka, the starting point for the chimpanzee treks in Nyungwe. You will be briefed by the park rangers on the protocols to be observed and what to expect then head into the forest in search of these playful creatures. The trails in the park have a unique number of flora with breathtaking sights and sounds of the primates in the park. After meeting the chimpanzees, you will drive to your hotel for a late breakfast.
- Canopy walk; You will have lunch in time then drive back to the Nyungwe forest for the 200 meter long Canopy walk of Nyungwe. This activity is done at 9 am or 2 pm daily on the Ishigishigi trail giving you the bird’s view of the thick forest. The birds chirping, the primates making their different sounds, the trees blowing, all part of the experience while in the park. Exit the park back to the hotel for dinner and the second night in the park at the hotel of the previous night.
Day 5: Transfer to Bukavu
- Cross into DRCongo to Bukavu; After having breakfast, you will set out to leave the Nyungwe forest headed further to cross into the DRCongo via the Rusizi 11 border to meet your driver guide on the other side. Drive tour hotel in Bukavu for lunch and spend the evening at leisure or take on an optional activity. Return to the hotel in time for dinner and night stay.
Day 6: Lowland gorilla trek in Bukavu
- Lowland gorilla trek; One of the big days of the 7 days safari where you get to see the lowland gorillas. Have breakfast and drive out to the Kahuzi Biega national park headquarters where all activities of the park start from with a brief. Enter the forest hike for about 3 hours according to the location of the gorillas that day and spend the allotted 1 hour when you encounter them.
- Have lunch and spend the evening resting enjoying Bukavu. Have dinner and spend your second night in Bukavu town.
Day 7: Transfer back to Kigali from Bukavu
- Drive to Kigali; On the last day of the 7 days safari, you will drive to exit DRCongo and back into Rwanda driving further to Kigali. You will have an enroute stopover in Butare for lunch and the Museum visit and also have an enroute visit of the King’s Palace to see the famous long horned cow.
- You will arrive in Kigali in the evening hours and be dropped off at the airport for your flight out of the country or be dropped at the hotel you may advise.
End of the 7 Days Akagera Kahuzi Biega & Nyungwe
- Full time safari vehicle for all ground tours
- English/ French speaking guide
- All accommodation as indicated in the plan
- Permits for activities in the plan
- Park entrance fee
- Bottled water all safari
- Visa fees
- International flights
- Money transfers charges
- Optional activities
- Personal needs like tips, laundry, airtime, alcoholic beverages