7 Days Kahuzi Biega and Virunga National Park
7 Days Kahuzi Biega and Virunga National Park is one of the top Congo Safari Itineraries where travelers get a chance to trek gorillas and hike mount Nyiragongo. This is the tour package that offers you the opportunity to visit the two different types of mountain gorillas that is the lowland gorillas of Kahuzi Biega National Park and the mountain gorillas of Virunga National Park along with the hike up Mount Nyiragongo. A fully packed but worthy plan.
Highlights of the 7 Days Kahuzi Biega and Virunga National Park
- Day 1: Pick up from Kigali at hotel or airport and transfer to Rusizi border
- Day 2: Lowland Gorilla trek in Kahuzi Biega National Park
- Day 3: Boat transfer from Bukavu to Goma
- Day 4: Check-in with Virunga NP office
- Day 5: Mountain gorilla trek in Virunga National Park
- Day 6: Nyiragongo hike up
- Day 7: Nyiragongo descend and transfer back to Kigali
Day 1: Pick up from Kigali at hotel or airport and transfer to Rusizi border
- Transfer to Rusizi border: According to the time and pick up time you will provide, you will be met by your driver-guide to set out for your journey south of Rwanda to connect to the DRCongo border with Rwanda that is the Rusizi border. This is a 6 to 7-hour transfer with lunch enroute. You will pass through the thrilling Nyungwe forest that stretches up to 2 hours of the drive. Reach the border to connect with your DRCongo driver-guide to connect you to your hotel in Bukavu to rest in anticipation for the next day. Dinner and overnight will be at Hotel Elizabeth, Hotel Panorama or Orchids hotel according to your selected tour budget.
Day 2: Lowland Gorilla trek in Kahuzi Biega National Park
- Lowland Gorilla trek: This is one of the eventful days where you will get to meet eye to eye with the lowland gorillas of Kahuzi Biega National park. After very early morning breakfast, meet with your driver-guide to drive to the park for your briefing before you enter the forest in search for the lowland gorillas. You will hike about 2 hours until you find them as this is an easier hike being a lowland scape. You will spend 1 hour with the lowland gorillas enjoying their presence and see how they go about their day and after connect back to your accommodation for a late lunch and spend the evening resting and looking at the photos you may have taken during the day’s course. Dinner and overnight will be at hotel as night before at Hotel Elizabeth, Hotel Panorama or Orchids hotel according to your selected tour budget.
Day 3: Boat transfer from Bukavu to Goma
- Boat transfer to Goma: Wake up in time to catch your 7 am boat trip on Lake Kivu from Bukavu to Goma port to connect for the other part of the tour. This will be a 3-hour speed boat transfer arriving at the Goma port in time to connect for check-in at your hotel. Freshen up and have lunch. If you are feeling energetic, you may as well take on an optional Goma city tour or town service according to your interests and ensure to connect back to your accommodation before nightfall. Dinner and overnight stay will be at Lac Kivu Lodge, Hotel Linda according to your selected tour range.
Day 4: Check-in with Virunga NP office
- Check-in with Virunga NP office: In the morning after breakfast, connect to the Grande Barrier to check in with the tourism office of Virunga at the border and meet your driver-guide to join the convoy headed to Kibumba Tented camp/Bukima tented camp or Mikeno lodge according to your preferred accommodation. Arrive in time for a late lunch and spend the evening relaxing at the camp terrace or take an optional guided nature walk if interested. Dinner and overnight will be at your selected accommodation.
Day 5: Mountain gorilla trek in Virunga National Park
- Gorilla Trekking Experience: After the simple Virunga breakfast, connect with your driver to drive to the Bukima police post where all the treks of the park start from. Get the daily morning brief by the rangers on the expectations while on the gorilla trek. Hire porters and walking sticks or any other necessities for this trek and enter the forest in search for the mountain gorillas. Hike through the forest for about one and a half hours until you meet the mountain gorillas. Spend the magical one hour with the mountain gorillas watching them go about their day and after make your way out of the forest to have your late lunch. You will spend your evening as desired and there are optional activities you may opt for like visit the Senkwekwe Gorilla Orphanage for those staying at Mikeno lodge, village walk or community tour. Get back to your lodge before dusk, refresh and connect for dinner as the night before.
Day 6: Nyiragongo hike up
- Nyiragongo hike: As early as 7 am, connect to the Bukima ranger post which is the trailhead of the Nyiragongo hike, check-in, get briefed and get all the things you may need on this 7-hour hike up the active volcanic mountain. You will have 2 stopovers to rest a bit and reach the summit around 5 pm to enjoy the views of the day as it ends. Dinner and overnight will be at the summit.
Day 7: Nyiragongo descends and transfers back to Kigali.
- Nyiragongo descends & Departures: Wake up to a simple breakfast at the top of the volcano spend a short time viewing the last of the mountain and the boiling lava before you set back down the mountain arriving at the trailhead at around 11 am and meet your driver to cross out of Goma and further to Kigali. If you have time, you may opt for the Kigali city tour visiting the Kimironko market for souvenirs and the Genocide Memorial for a brief history of the events that transpired in the country in that fateful year of 1995
End of the 7 Days Kahuzi Biega and Virunga National Park