10 Days Congo Safari Tour – Kahuzi Biega and Virunga Classic package
10 Days Congo Safari Tour is one of the top Safari packages that one can book for as they get a chance to explore the best of Virunga National Park and Kahuzi Biega National Park. This safari starts and ends in Rwanda’s Capital City i.e. Kigali.
Highlights of the 10 Days Congo Safari Tour
- Day 1: Arrival in Kigali – Rwanda
- Day 2: Transfer to Bukavu- DR Congo
- Day 3: Lowland Gorilla tracking tour in Kahuzi Biega – DR Congo
- Day 4: Transfer to Goma
- Day 5: Check-in and Transfer to Mikeno Lodge
- Day 6: First Gorilla Trek.
- Day 7: Second Gorilla Trek.
- Day 8: Free day
- Day 9: Nyiragongo Hike
- Day 10: Descend
Detailed Itinerary of the Safari
Day 1: Arrival in Kigali – Rwanda
- Arrival in Kigali: On arrival at Kigali International Airport, you will be picked up by our driver guide who will welcome you warmly and transfer you to your Hotel in Kigali. If you happen to arrive early, you will have a chance to explore the amazing Kigali city on a tour where you can visit the Genocide Memorial Grounds, Kimironko Market, and other places. In the evening head to your lodge for dinner and a goodnight’s rest.
Day 2: Transfer to Bukavu- DR Congo
- Transfer to Bukavu: After Breakfast, you will be picked by our amazing driver guide who will transfer you towards the Cyangugu border as you go approach Bukavu in DR Congo. On your way, you will stopover in Butare to visit Rwanda’s National Museum and also in Nyanza where you will visit the Kings Palace and the Rwanda genocide memorial site. In Nyanza, you will have lunch after which you will proceed to Bukavu passing through Nyungwe National Park and enjoying vies of the amazing Lake Kivu. On arrival in Bukavu, you will have dinner and overnight at the Panorama Hotel.
Day 3: Lowland Gorilla tracking tour in KahuziBiega – DR Congo
- Lowland Gorilla Trekking: Wake up early and have breakfast and then later transfer to Kahuzi Biega National Park for the amazing Lowland gorilla trekking activity. Gorillas in Africa are categorized into lowland gorillas and the mountain gorillas. Kahuzi Biega National Park is the home for these lowland gorillas and this activity of lowland gorilla trekking is the same as the mountain gorilla trekking. Thes gorillas live in bigger gorilla families and are many in number compared to the mountain gorillas. Once you meet the gorillas you will be given one hour to observe their behaviors and how they live as you take photos. After one hour, you will return to the lodge and spend the night at Panorama Hotel
Day 4: Transfer to Goma
- Transfer to Goma: Wake up early morning and have breakfast before you embark on your journey to Goma. From Bukavu to Goma you will take a speed boat which will take about 3-4hours. When you reach Goma, you will transfer to your hotel and refresh, have dinner and have a goodnight’s sleep at Hotel Linda. If time allows, you might have a small Goma city tour. Dinner and overnight at Hotel Linda
Day 5: Check-in and Transfer to Mikeno Lodge
- Transfer to Mikeno Lodge: Wake up early morning have breakfast on day 5 of the 10 Days Congo Safari Tour before traveling to the Grande Barrier Border. Make sure you arrive at the border by 10:30 am and check in to the Virunga Tourism office by 11:45 am. At the Virunga Tourism office, you will be given the gorilla trekking permits which you will present at the park before embarking on the gorilla trekking activity. After the process, you will be transfered to Mikeno Lodge at the park headquaters in Rumangabo. Lunch will be served on arrival at the lodge and your afternoon will be enjoyed at leisure. You can decide to do a small community tour, birding, or even pay a visit to the Virunga Hounds. Return to the lodge for Dinner and a goodnight’s rest.
Day 6: First Gorilla Trek.
- Gorilla trekking: Wake up early morning on day 6 of the 10 Days Congo Safari tour and have breakfast. After breakfast, transfer to Bukima Ranger post where you will meet the ranger guides and some local porters who are meant to help you carry your luggage at a given cost. On arrival, you will present your gorilla trekking permits and go in for a short briefing about the gorilla trekking activity. Later you will embark on you the trekking which takes 1 to 2 hours before you meet the gorillas. On meeting the gorillas, you will be given 1 hour to spend within the presence of the gorillas as you observe their behavior, take photos and catch a feel of their environment. After 1 hour you will return to the Bukima Camp where your late lunch will be served. The rest of the afternoon will be spent at leisure and later return to the lodge for dinner and a goodnight’s rest at the Bukima Tented Camp.
Day 7: Second Gorilla Trek.
- Second Gorilla Trekking activity: On Day 7 Of the amazing 10 Days Congo Safari Tour, you will wake up, have breakfast at Bukima Camp and head out for the second gorilla trekking activity at around 8:30 am. From the gorilla trekking experience, you will return to Bukima where you will have lunch and then be transfered back to Mikeno Lodge. At mikeno lodge, you will spend the rest of the afternoon at leisure and have dinner later and a goodnight’s rest.
Day 8: Free day
- Free day: On the 8th day of this amazing Congo tour, you will be given the full day to your self to enjoy the environment as you explore the surroundings at Mikeno lodge and do some community tours, birding, and other leisure activities. Dinner and sleep at Mikeno Lodge.
Day 9: Nyiragongo Hike
- Nyiragongo Hike: Wake up early on day 9 of the tour and have breakfast before being transfered to Kibati Ranger Post. On arrival at Kibati Ranger Post, you will go through briefing and this is where you can get a chance to hire porters. Kibati Ranger post is the starting point for the Mount Nyiragongo Hike. The hike to Mount Nyiragongo takes about 4-6hours and on reaching the summit you will get a chance to view the boiling lava of the active volcano. You will spend the night at the mount Nyiragongo summit shelters.
Day 10: Descend
- Descend from the summit and connect to Kigali: On the final day of the 10 Days Congo Safari Tour, you will wake up early and descend from the Crater Rim back to Kibati Ranger Post. The descending will take about 4 hours. After arriving at the Kibati post at the bottom, you will meet your driver guide who will transfer you back to Goma and continue your journey to Kigali where you will be dropped off to conclude the 12 Days Kahuzi Biega & Virunga Classic Package.
End of the 10 Days Congo Safari Tour
- Visa DR Congo.
- Gorilla trekking permit
- Park entrance fees
- Congo Visa
- Vehicle entrance fees
- all accommodation as per itinerary
- 4X4 safari vehicle & Fuel
- Full-time English speaking driver/ guide
- Bottled mineral water while on safari
- Multiple entries (Uganda Rwanda) visa fees
- Air tickets
- All items of personal nature like laundry, phone calls, beer, e.t.c
- Anything else not included in the itinerary
See also: 11 Days Rwanda and Congo Safari