12 Days Kahuzi Biega & Virunga Classic Package
12 Days Kahuzi Biega & Virunga Classic Package is an amazing lengthy safari tour package in Congo that will seem to be short because of the exciting safari activities that you will engage in. This is a package that includes visiting Kahuzi Biega National Park home of the eastern lowland gorillas in Congo and touring Virunga National Park home to the Mountain gorillas in Congo and other tourist attractions around those vicinities.
Highlights of the 12 Days Kahuzi Biega & Virunga Classic Package
- Day 1: Arrival in Kigali – Rwanda
- Day 2: Free day in Kigali
- Day 3: Transfer to Nyungwe and Canopy walk
- Day 4: Transfer to Bukavu- DR Congo
- Day 5: Lowland Gorilla tracking tour in Kahuzi Biega – DR Congo
- Day 6: Transfer to Goma
- Day 7: Check-in and Transfer to Mikeno Lodge
- Day 8: First Gorilla Trek.
- Day 9: Second Gorilla Trek.
- Day 10: Free day
- Day 11: Nyiragongo Hike
- Day 12: Descend and connect to Kigali.
Detailed Safari Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival in Kigali – Rwanda
- Arrival/City tour: On arrival at Kigali International Airport, you will be picked up by our driver-guide who will then transfer you to your hotel where you will relax and spend the night. Just in case you arrive during the early hours of the day, you will be taken on a Kigali City tour where you will visit places like Kimironko Market and the Genocide memorial grounds. The night will be spent at Des Mille Colline Hotel.
Day 2: Free day in Kigali
- Free day in Kigali: This is a free day where you can spend it doing your own stuff in Kigali City and you could as well decide to do another Kigali City tour. Dinner and overnight at Des Mille Colline Hotel
Day 3: Transfer to Nyungwe and Canopy walk
- Transfer to Nyungwe & Canopy Walk: You will wake up early morning and have breakfast. Then you will be picked up from your hotel by our driver guide who will drive you to Nyungwe National Park. You will then make a small stopover on your way to the park in Butare. In Butare, you will visit Rwanda’s National Museum. You will also stop over in Nyanza to visit the king’s palace and have lunch.
- Canopy Walkway: You will then proceed to the park where you will go through the walking trail to arrive at the Canopy walkway. The Canopy Walk is a suspended bridge that hangs 60m above the ground from which a traveler can be able to view the forests canopy from the top. Here you can see wildlife species like birds, chimps, monkeys and other primates. After the canopy walkway, you will then transfer to your accommodation where you will spend the night at Nyungwe Top hill view hotel.
Day 4: Transfer to Bukavu- DR Congo
- Transfer to Bukavu- DR Congo: Wake Up early on day 4 of the 12 Days Kahuzi Biega & Virunga Classic Package and enjoy your breakfast. You will then be picked up by the guide who will drive you Cyangugu border as you proceed towards Bukavu in Congo. You will a stopover in Nyanza have lunch and after you will continue to Bukavu. On your way, you will have beautiful views of the amazing Lake Kivu. You will have dinner and spend the night at Orchid Safari Lodge.
Day 5: Lowland Gorilla tracking tour in Kahuzi Biega – DR Congo
- Lowland Gorilla Trekking: Wake up early and have breakfast and then later transfer to Kahuzi Biega National Park for the amazing Lowland gorilla trekking activity. Gorillas in Africa are categorized into lowland gorillas and the mountain gorillas. Kahuzi Biega National Park is the home for these lowland gorillas and this activity of lowland gorilla trekking is the same as the mountain gorilla trekking. Thes gorillas live in bigger gorilla families and are many in number compared to the mountain gorillas. Once you meet the gorillas you will be given one hour to observe their behaviors and how they live as you take photos. After one hour, you will return to the lodge and spend the night at Orchid Safari Lodge.
Day 6: Transfer to Goma
- Transfer to Goma: Wake up early morning and have breakfast before you embark on your journey to Goma. From Bukavu to Goma you will take a boat which will take about 6-7hours. When you reach Goma, you will transfer to your hotel and refresh, have dinner and have a goodnight’s sleep at Lac Kivu Lodge. If time allows, you might have a small Goma city tour.
Day 7: Check-in and Transfer to Mikeno Lodge
- Transfer to Mikeno Lodge: Wake up early morning have breakfast on day 7 of the 12 Days Kahuzi Biega & Virunga Classic safari before traveling to the Grande Barrier Border. Make sure you arrive at the border by 10:30 am and check in to the Virunga Tourism office by 11:45am. At the Virunga Tourism office, you will be given the gorilla trekking permits which you will present at the park before embarking on the gorilla trekking activity. After the process, you will be transfered to Mikeno Lodge at the park headquaters in Rumangabo. Lunch will be served on arrival at the lodge and your afternoon will be enjoyed at leisure. You can decide to do a small community tour, birding, or even pay a visit to the Virunga Hounds. Return to the lodge for Dinner and a goodnight’s rest.
Day 8: First Gorilla Trek.
- Gorilla trekking: Wake up early morning on day 8 of the 12 Days Congo Safari tour and have breakfast. After breakfast, transfer to Bukima Ranger post where you will meet the ranger guides and some local porters who are meant to help you carry your luggage at a given cost. On arrival, you will present your gorilla trekking permits and go in for a short briefing about the gorilla trekking activity. Later you will embark on you the trekking which takes 1 to 2 hours before you meet the gorillas. On meeting the gorillas, you will be given 1 hour to spend within the presence of the gorillas as you observe their behavior, take photos and catch a feel of their environment. After 1 hour you will return to the Bukima Camp where your late lunch will be served. The rest of the afternoon will be spent at leisure and later return to the lodge for dinner and a goodnight’s rest at the Bukima Tented Camp.
Day 9: Second Gorilla Trek.
- Second Gorilla Trekking activity: On Day 9 Of the amazing 12 Days Kahuzi Biega & Virunga Classic safari, you will wake up, have breakfast at Bukima Camp and head out for the second gorilla trekking activity at around 8:30 am. From the gorilla trekking experience, you will return to Bukima where you will have lunch and then be transfered back to Mikeno Lodge. At mikeno lodge, you will spend the rest of the afternoon at leisure and have dinner later and a goodnight’s rest.
Day 10: Free day
- Free day: On the 10th day of this amazing Congo tour, you will be given the full day to your self to enjoy the environment as you explore the surroundings at Mikeno lodge and do some community tours, birding, and other leisure activities. Dinner and sleep at Mikeno Lodge.
Day 11: Nyiragongo Hike
- Nyiragongo Hike: Wake up early on day 11 of the tour and have breakfast before being transfered to Kibati Ranger Post. On arrival at Kibati Ranger Post, you will go through briefing and this is where you can get a chance to hire porters. Kibati Ranger post is the starting point for the Mount Nyiragongo Hike. The hike to Mount Nyiragongo takes about 4-6hours and on reaching the summit you will get a chance to view the boiling lava of the active volcano. You will spend the night at the mount Nyiragongo summit shelters.
Day 12: Descend and connect to Kigali.
- Descend from the summit and connect to Kigali: On the final day of the 12 Days Kahuzi Biega & Virunga Classic Package, you will wake up early and descend from the Crater Rim back to Kibati Ranger Post. The descending will take about 4 hours. After arriving at the Kibati post at the bottom, you will meet your driver guide who will transfer you back to Goma and continue you journey to Kigali where you will be dropped off to conclude the 12 Days Kahuzi Biega & Virunga Classic Package.
End of the 12 Days Kahuzi Biega & Virunga Classic Package
- Gorilla trekking permit
- Park entrance fees
- Congo VISA
- Vehicle entrance fees
- all accommodation as per itinerary
- 4X4 safari vehicle & Fuel
- Full time English speaking driver/ guide
- Bottled mineral water while on safari
- Multiple entry (Uganda Rwanda) Visa fees
- Air tickets
- All items of personal nature like laundry, phone calls, beer, e.t.c
- Anything else not included in the itinerary