6 days Mikeno Mist with Tchegera
6 days Mikeno Mist with Tchegera is an amazing Congo Safari Package to Virunga National Park whereby a traveller can be able to visit Virunga and also Tchegera Island for a cool off the hectic activities of gorilla trekking and Mount Nyiragongo Hike.
Highlights of the 6 days Mikeno Mist with Tchegera
- Day 1: Pick up and drive to Gisenyi
- Day 2: Cross Goma-Congo Boarder
- Day 3: Virunga Gorilla Trekking in Congo
- Day 4: Nyiragongo Hiking
- Day 5: Descend Nyiragongo & take a boat to Tchegera island
- Day 6: Lunch at Tchegera and Transfer back to the back to Kigali
Day 1: Pick up and drive to Gisenyi
- Transfer to Gisenyi: In the morning at your hotel or on arrival at the Kigali International airport, your driver guide from our office will meet you and welcome you to Rwanda, you may have a cup of coffee if your flight in was earlier than expected then set off towards the Gisenyi.
- Gisenyi Experience: Gisenyi has a lot to offer like boat trips on Lake Kivu, coffee experiences, cultural visits which you may opt to do or just check in to your accommodation and rest as you anticipate for the next day’s activities.
Day 2: Cross Goma-Congo Border
- Transfer to Goma Border: On day 2 of the 6 days Mikeno Mist with Tchegera tour, Wake up to the cool breeze of Gisenyi from Lake Kivu, grab some breakfast and after meeting up with your driver-guide to set off to cross into DRCongo. Ensure to check that you have your E-VISA and valid yellow card before you cross borders. You will depart with the Rwanda guide and meet up with our D.R.Congo representative who will help you check in with the Virunga tourism office that is situated in the Grande Barrier building at the border. You will be issued your permits for the activities you are set to do in Virunga National Park. This should be done by 11:15 am so as to join the security convoy to Mikeno lodge in Rumangabo. Welcomed by a glass of juice and a late lunch, you will then enjoy the views the lodge has to offer but if you are feeling energetic, you may go and check out the nature trails of Rumangabo but get back before night-fall. Dinner and overnight will be at Mikeno Lodge.
Day 3: Virunga Gorilla Trekking in Congo
- Gorilla Trekking: Enjoy a Mikeno breakfast and set out to have a briefing at the Bukima ranger post which is routine before any activity is done in the park. Bukima ranger post is where all the treks of Virunga National park begin. Set out to the Virunga forest with guidance from the park ranger guide where you will spend about 1 to 3 hours in search for the gorillas of Virunga national park. The gorilla families in Virunga have the biggest number of individuals and they are characterized by their big size but gentle nature. You will spend one hour with them as you analyze how they spend their day and how they relate with each other at a 6 meters distance though. This is a magical hour that you will live to tell.
- Transfer to Bukima Camp: Connect to Bukima camp for lunch then continue to your accommodation as the night before. The rest of the day is spent at will either lounging on the terrace of Mikeno lodge, visiting the Senkekwe gorilla orphanage or nature walks on the Rumangabo trails.
Day 4: Nyiragongo Hiking
- Mount Nyiragongo Hike: On day 4 of the 6 days Mikeno Mist with Tchegera tour, Get up on this 4th day of the Virunga visit with an early breakfast then connect to the Kibati ranger post before 8 am. You will have a briefing of what to expect and the dos and don’ts of the Nyiragongo hike. Book a porter and other things you may need on this overnight hike and set out. This hike is 4 to 6-hour uphill hike with two stopover points where you may refresh or rest a bit. Reach the summit for the rewarding views of the active volcano. Dinner and overnight is at the Nyiragongo summit shelters.
Day 5: Descend Nyiragongo & take a boat to Tchegera island
- Descend: After breakfast, you will enjoy the last moments at the summit before you set back on the 4-hour descent of the active volcano.
- Transfer to Tchegera Island: You will reach your starting point Kibati ranger post by 11:00 am and connect with your driver-guide for the transfer to Goma port to catch the boat to Tchegera Island. This is a 20-minute boat ride to Tchegera Island. You will get settled into one of the 8 shelters on the Island have your late lunch. Spend the evening enjoying the breeze of Lake Kivu or if you want more activity you may take on a kayak trip or nature walk. Connect back for dinner and overnight at Tchegera Island tented camp.
Day 6: Lunch at Tchegera and Transfer back to the back to Kigali
- Return to Kigali: Have a sumptuous breakfast at the dining area of Tchegera Island shortly before you set out to get the boat back to Goma. Connect with your driver-guide to check out of DRCongo and back into Rwanda. Drive to Kigali with lunch enroute and a brief city tour if time allows. Advise your driver-guide on your preferred drop off point in Kigali.
End of the 6 days Mikeno Mist with Tchegera
See also: Mikeno Mist Package