7 Days Congo Gorilla & Chimpanzee Safari
7 Days Congo Gorilla & Chimpanzee Safari is one of the best Congo Tour packages that a traveler can book and have a chance to view lowland gorillas in Kahuzi Biega, mountain gorillas in Virunga National Park, and also chimpanzee trekking in Mahura Forest. You will go gorilla trekking twice before you visit the orphaned gorillas in Senkwekwe Gorilla Orphanage.
Highlights of the 7 Days Congo Gorilla & Chimpanzee Safari
- Day 1: Transfer to Bukavu
- Day 2: Lowland Gorilla trekking – Cyangungu
- Day 3: Boat transfer to Goma and Transfer to Mikeno Lodge
- Day 4: First Gorilla Trek
- Day 5: Second Gorilla Trek
- Day 6: Chimpanzee trekking
- Day 7: Departure and drop off to Kigali
Day 1: Transfer to Bukavu
- Transfer to Bukavu: Depending on your location in Kigali, you will be picked up by our driver guide and representative who will embark on a journey to Bukavu with you. This journey takes about 7 hours and you will pass within Nyungwe forest National Park as you enjoy the rolling hills of Rwanda “the land of 1000 hills“. You will stopover in Butare for a break as you explore Rwanda’s National Museum. Another stopover will be made in Nyanza where you will enjoy exploring the King’s Palace and have lunch thereafter. After lunch, continue to the Rusizi border as you enter Congo proceeding to Bukavu. On arriving in Bukavu, which happens to be the nearest Kahuzi Biega National Park, you will check in to the lodge for dinner, refresh and take a nap. Dinner and sleep in Hotel Panorama.
Day 2: Lowland Gorilla trekking – Cyangungu
- Lowland Gorilla trekking: Wake up early and have breakfast before you travel to the park headquaters a distance that will take about 45 minutes for briefing about the Eastern lowland gorilla trekking in Kahuzi Biega National Park by the experienced park rangers. Eastern Lowland gorilla trekking usually takes about 1-6 hours until you finally meet the gorillas and once you meet them, you will be given 1 hour to view them, take photos, and videos. After the hour you will travel back to the starting point where you will meet your guide and return to Hotel Panorama for dinner and a goodnight’s rest.
Day 3: Boat transfer to Goma and Transfer to Mikeno Lodge
- Boat Cruise to Goma: Wake up early, have breakfast and be picked up by our drive as you head onto a boat cruise to Goma. This boat cruise usually takes about 3 hours and then you’ll arrive in Goma and head to the Virunga Tourism office at around 11:00 am. Check in to the Virunga tourism office (located at the Grande Barriere border) by 11:30 am and pick up your gorilla trekking permits. After getting the permits head straight to Mikeno Lodge at the park head quaters in Rumangabo. On arrival at Mikeno, you will check-in and have lunch. From here, you can decide to have the afternoon to yourself as you enjoy nature walks, birding around the lodge and also a community walk in Rumangabo and visit Virunga’s Congohounds.
Day 4: First Gorilla Trek
- Gorilla Trekking Experience 1: Wake up early morning and have breakfast before you travel to the park starting point at Bukima Ranger post. On arrival, you will meet ranger guides who will take you through a briefing before you start the gorilla trekking activity. After the briefing start gorilla trekking in Virunga as you enjoy the wilderness for about 2-3 hours before you meet the mountain gorilla species of Virunga. Once you meet the mountain gorillas, you will be allowed 1 hour to spend in their presence as you take photos, videos, and observe their behaviors. After 1 hour you will return back to the starting point and meet your guide who will take you to Bukima Tented Camp.
Day 5: Second Gorilla Trek
- Gorilla Trekking Experience 2: Wake Up early morning and have breakfast and at exactly 8:30 am, you will begin the second gorilla trekking experience and when you are done, you will be transfered back to Mikeno Lodge. At mikeno lodge, you will enjoy your afternoon at leisure and have a visit to Senkwekwe Gorilla Orphanage Center. Later have dinner and rest at Mikeno Lodge.
Day 6: Chimpanzee trekking
- Chimpanzee trekking: Wake up early morning, and head out to go for the chimpanzee trekking activity in Congo’s Mahura Forest which surrounds Rumangabo at 6:00 am. Chimpanzee trekking in Virunga does not take a long time and therefore, the guests will return early and have late breakfast and spend their afternoon and the rest of the day exploring the Park headquarters or just relaxing with a book on the terrace of Mikeno Lodge.
Day 7: Departure and drop off to Kigali
- Departure and drop off to Kigali: On the final day of our 7 Days Congo Primates Safari, you will have breakfast and get transported back to Goma, as you connect Kigali whereby our driver guide will drop you off at Kigali International Airport for your flight back home.
End of the 7 Days Congo Gorilla & Chimpanzee Safari
- Great Ape activities
- A gorilla trekking permit in Kahuzi Biega
- Visas for Congo
- Pick up and drop off
- Park fees
- Accommodation as per itinerary
- Meals with Virunga
- Group transport in Virunga
- Full-time English/ French speaking driver/ guide
- Rwanda visa fees
- Air tickets
- All items of personal nature like laundry, porterage, phone calls, beer, e.t.c
- Anything else not included in the itinerary
See also: 8 Days Congo Safari tour