8 Days Congo Safari tour is one of the best Congo Safari Packages that a traveler can book and get a chance to do Gorilla Trekking in Virunga National Park, Visit Lwiro Chimpanzee Sanctuary, and finish off with the great hiking of Mount Nyiragongo.
Day 1: Arrival in Kigali – Rwanda
- Arrival in Kigali: The 8 Days Congo Safari tour starts in Rwanda’s Capital City Kigali where you will be picked up from Kigali International Airport and transfered to your hotel by our driver-guide who will 1st brief you about the next 8 days. Given that you arrive early, you can spend the afternoon touring the city on a Kigali City tour where you can visit places like the Kigali Genocide Memorial Center. Dinner will be served at your hotel at City Blue Hotel where you will spend your night.
Day 2: Transfer to Bukavu- DR Congo
- Transfer to Bukavu: Wake up early morning on day 2 and have breakfast before you embark on your journey to Bukavu in Congo. You will pass the Cyangungu border and on your way, you will make a stopover in Butare to visit the National Museum of Rwanda and another stop-over in Nyanza where you will visit the King’s Palace and have lunch. After lunch, you will continue to proceed to Bukavu and pass through Nyungwe forest National Park and connect to Congo through the Rusizi 1 Border. You will spend the night at Panorama Hotel where you will have dinner as you prepare for the next day.
Day 3: Transfer to Lwiro Chimpanzee Sanctuary.
- Transfer to Lwiro: Wake up early morning and have breakfast. After that, meet up with the driver guide who will drive you to the Lwiro chimpanzee sanctuary located in Bukavu.
- Lwiro Chimpanzee Experience: This will be a full day activity and you will have a chance to spend with the Chimpanzee species in the Sanctuary. You will meet researchers who can educate you more about these species and you’ll have a chance to participate in activities like feeding and caretaking for the orphaned chimpanzees. Take photos, enjoy the scenes and capture moments in the sanctuary. After the activity, head to the hotel where you stayed for the night and dinner i.e. Panorama Hotel.
Day 4: Transfer to Goma
- Transfer to Goma: Wake up early morning and have breakfast, and later take a boat from Bukavu to Goma which will take you about 6-7 hours as you sail off to Goma. On arrival, you will check in to your hotel at La Joie Plaza Hotel where you will spend the night and have dinner after having a short Goma City tour.
Day 5: Transfer to Virunga National Park
- Transfer to Virunga: You will be picked up from your hotel after breakfast and you will check in to the Virunga Tourism Office where you will get your Virunga Permits for gorilla trekking and the Nyiragongo Hike. After the check-in at around 11:30 am, you will be transfered to the Virunga National Park and you will check in to Kibumba Tented Camp where you will have lunch.
Day 6: Mountains Gorilla trekking
- Mountains Gorilla trekking: Wake up early on day 6 of the 8 Days Congo Safari tour, have breakfast at your lodge and head out to meet the driver guide who will take you to the park headquaters. Here you will meet the Virunga park rangers who will take you through a short briefing of what to expect on the Gorilla Trekking activity. Later start the gorilla trekking led by the armed rangers who are experienced in trekking the gorillas. Gorilla Trekking in Virunga National Park takes about 2-3 hours before you meet the gorilla species and if lucky it can even be less than 2hours. When you meet the mountain gorillas you will be given 1 hour to observe their behavior, take photos and spend some time in their presence. After the experience, you will return to the starting point where you will meet your driver-guide and he will take you back to Kibumba Tented Camp for dinner and a night’s rest.
Day 7: Nyiragongo Hike
- Nyiragongo Hike: After breakfast, you will meet your guide and he will drive you to Kibati Ranger Post. Kibati acts as the starting point for the mount Nyiragongo Hike. You will undergo a short briefing at this point and you will have a chance to hire some porters to help you carry your luggage to the top of the mountain. At exactly 8:15 am, you will start the hike and it will take you about 6-7 hours to get to the top. On reaching the top, take photos, enjoy the view and spend the night at the Nyiragongo summit shelters.
Day 8: Descending & Departure
- Descending & Departure: On the last day of the 8 Days Congo Safari tour, after early morning breakfast at the Summit, you will start to descend down the mountain back to Kibati Ranger Post. You will meet your driver-guide after about 4-5 hours of descending and you will embark on a journey back to Rwanda’s Capital City Kigali of which you be dropped off at the location of your choice.
End of the 8 Days Congo Safari tour
Please Note the Following
- Equipment needed for the safari include Sleeping Bag (1), Rain Coat (1), Rain Jacket (1), Hiking Stick (1), Hiking Shoes (1), Hut (1), and Gloves (1).
- Note that your Rwanda Visa expires immediately you cross into Congo so you will have to reapply for another while at the border and find it ready after the tour.
The Quotation Includes;
- Gorilla trekking permit
- Chimpanzee visit
- Hiking fees
- Park entrance fees
- Congo Visa fee
- Vehicle entrance fees
- all accommodation as per itinerary
- 4X4 safari vehicle & Fuel
- Full-time English/ French speaking driver/ guide
- Bottled mineral water while on safari
- Rwanda Visa fees
- Air tickets
- All items of personal nature like laundry, porterage, phone calls, beer, e.t.c
- Anything else not included in the itinerary
See also: 8 Days Virunga, PNV & Bwindi